Greene County Hunting

Tishabee Farms Hunting Club

A Hunters Paradise

December 2000 - Tishabee Farms is a privately owned hunting club located in Greene County, Alabama close to the Forkland area. The property borders the Tombigbee River and contains 2,000 acres of wildlife. The property is primarily planted pines with swamp fingers running off of the river/creek system. The property has approximately 30 food plots with shooting houses on most of them. We currently have 15 members and 2 landowners/families that hunt the property. The lodge consists of a main house and two bunkhouses. The gun hunting is fabulous, however the bow hunting is tough, as there are only a limited amount of trees large enough to accommodate a treestand.

Main Lodge

Inside of Main Lodge

A bobcat I harvested at Tishabee.
I'm 6'5" - that's a big kitty.

Lee Brown

This is the largest deer taken during the 1999-2000 season - 215lbs. - 8pt.

Tishabee has very plush food plots - the best I've seen in South Alabama

Food Plot in Area 20

December 22, 1999
The moon coming up over the Field 22 food plot.
The brightest moon in over 100 years.

Randy's Hunting Club

During December of 2001, I was invited to Greene County, Alabama to hunt with Randy Hogeland. We hunted a couple of days at the club he is a member in. We saw only a few deer as the weather was very warm and the deer were not moving. I saw two deer the first afternoon and a doe the second morning. It was hunter's choice, as it is all season in that county, however I elected to not shoot the doe, as she appeared to be in heat. Her tail was tucked, she keep looking behind her and her tarsal glands were black as coal. She had that rough look to her that a lot of doe in heat has. I saw nothing following her.

This is the old house we slept in at night.

Randy drinking a coke before the afternoon hunt.

Some of the old mounts they have on the walls.

This is an impressive deer - on the plaque it list December 31, 1920 as the harvest date.

January 2002: I hunted again with Randy and Carlos at the club in Greene County. The weather was much more cooperative this time and the deer were moving. They had harvested a dozen or so bucks over the last week at the club. The first afternoon, Randy and I both harvested a buck. It was an enjoyable trip.

Weapon: Remington 700
Scope: Leupold VXIII 4.5x14 50mm
Caliber: 270Win
Bullet: Nosler Partition 130gr.
Range: 70 yards
Deer Traveled: 0 yards
Size: 4 pt.
Weight: 140 lbs.
Date: January 16, 2002

I harvested this deer in Greene County while hunting with friends. We arrived at the club land around 11:00am, unpacked and headed out to the woods around Noon. I was in my treestand and ready to hunt at 12:30pm. That's a record time to sit this year! Heck, that may be an all-time record - 5 hours!! We were hunting in a swamp that's full of cane, briars and saplings. To say it's thick would be an understatement. The 400-acre swamp had small openings in it that were around 75 yards long by 40 yards wide. I would bust through the cane and then scout the openings. I found this one opening that had a few rubs in it and quite a few fresh tracks. I climbed on the side that would blow my scent out of the opening in the cane and settled in to hunt the afternoon. As time dragged on, the deer were not moving and my body was starting to hurt from the hours of inactivity. Around 4:50pm, I saw this buck licking a branch at the far end of the opening. Just as I saw him, he started to move out of the opening. He stopped walking behind some vines and I placed the crosshairs on his shoulder - just as I got the crosshairs on him he started to walk again and I fired. I didn't see him drop or run. I didn't hear him crash or move. It was almost like he was an image and had disappeared. It's so thick that I couldn't see the ground very well were he was standing. I looked through my scope and binoculars but he didn't appear to be there. About 5 minutes later, I saw a squirrel jumping through the woods right where the deer had been standing. I couldn't believe that a squirrel would go right by deer on the ground. I started to get the feeling that I had missed and the deer took a couple of quick steps back in the cane to sneak off without making a sound. Finally I had all I could take and climbed down. I walked to the spot and he was lying right where he had been standing. It was so thick, I couldn't even see him from the treestand and he was laying belly side to me with all that white hair. The bullet had centered both front shoulders.

This next part is really wild and I learned a valuable lesson from it. I always keep five feet or so of trail marker tape in my fanny pack for marking a spot. I hunted in the rain the weekend before and everything got soaking wet. I had cleaned out my pack to allow it to dry and didn't put the tape back in it. I found a nightglow tie in the pack and tied it on a tree limb 8 feet or so up. I looked at my compass and needed to walk directly south to exit the area to the 4-wheeler trail. I didn't want to drag the deer out because I thought one of the other guys was hunting 500 yards or so from me and I didn't want to cause that much noise. As it turned out, this guy was a lot farther than that from me and had shot a buck at 1:45pm. He had been sitting around all afternoon waiting on us. I'll bet he took a nap ... I would have :) I walked directly out of the woods with plenty of light remaining. I waited at the 4-wheeler for them and then we went back in the swamp to drag the deer out. Even though the deer was 100 yards or so from the trail, we couldn't find the spot that I was in. We searched for an hour in there for the opening I was in and finally gave up to come back the next day. After dark, everything in that swamp looked totally different. Even with the compass bearing and glowing tie we couldn't located the deer. We had to have walked all around the deer - probably almost stepped on him. The next day I went directly to the spot and dragged him out to where I could get the 4-wheeler to him. From the time I left the 4-wheeler to look for him until he was loaded and back on the trail was less than 30 minutes.

When hunting in a swamp, I'll carry a compass, trail marker tape and possibly a GPS next time. Once you're at ground level and surrounded by 10-foot walls of cane and briers, it's hard to navigate.

Randy and Carlos during our January trip

Hit Counter